How to Write Great Product Descriptions for Your Etsy Shop
One of the most mysterious subjects in Etsy-dom is what to write in your product descriptions.
I've seen some pretty hilarious product descriptions on Etsy - people that really understood branding and their ideal customer and then I've seen one-liners or descriptions riddled with grammatical mistakes and nonsense information and I'm here to tell you, there's a better way!
But let's start at the beginning, shall we?
Why do we even need product descriptions?
Product descriptions are the last thing a buyer sees before they buy.
They've already liked your photos enough to click through, the price was also acceptable and now they're scanning your product description to find out whether or not this product is the EXACT thing that they're looking for.
A good product description answers all their questions, dispels their fears and make them feel more confident about their purchase, while a bad or lacking product description leaves them wondering if they should risk it.
Great product descriptions, on top of converting more viewers into buyers, also help reduce the amount of refunds and returns, since they clarify to the customer exactly what to expect.
What should you include in your descriptions?
Here's a comprehensive list of everything that needs to be in your description copy:
Information to include in your product descriptions
1. What exactly is the customer getting? Describe the product accurately. Pay special attention to things they might think they're getting but aren't (if you're selling a printable and the picture depicts a frame - make sure you mention the printable does not come with a frame).
2. What are the benefits of your products? For example, if you're selling a knit baby hat don't just write it's made from acrylic yarn, explain how the yarn is super soft and hypoallergenic and is especially suitable for sensitive skin.
3. Care instructions, if applicable, include how to care for your item to make it last longer.
4. Special shipping information they can't find on the shipping tab - such as turnaround time, average shipping time, etc.
5. Critical FAQ they need to be mindful of (no returns on custom items? Holiday turnaround time? Etc.)
6. Dimensions. This one's a given but I see so many sellers skip it. Give exact measurements.
7. Turnaround time if it's very long or not standard. Also give them an option to rush their order.
8. Benefits your product has over your competitor's. What sets your product apart? Why should they choose you?
9. Link to your shop, section or listing that is related to the item (but no more than one link!)
10. Link to upgrades/customization listings related to the item.
11. A short story behind the item, if it applies. Something that would make them think "I NEED this!" and make them visualize themselves owning it.
12. Anything else that's important to know (are your materials super rare or one of a kind? Is it upcycled which means it might be a little flawed?)
13. It's worth noting if you have a generous warranty or refund policy. It would make your shoppers feel much more confident in buying from you.
I know this sounds all generic but that's because the details should all be the same across every product on the internet.
The thing that should set you apart from everyone else is your copywriting. How you word things, what kind of mental imagery you use, that type of thing.
So I didn't want to leave you in the dark, here are some amazing examples of shops who are killing it with wonderful copy:
1. Long Winter Farm. Here's their description for "Unicorn Farts" Lip Balm:
Smells just exactly like real imaginary unicorn farts! Which smell like spearmint and pink cotton candy, everybody knows that.
This balm is designed to melt into your lips, not into your jeans! Which is good, because I keep mine in my butt pocket. That would be embarrassing... It's got lots of yumminess in it: natural beeswax (you'll smell a little extra honey), unrefined cocoa butter (you'll smell a little cocoa too), unrefined shea butter, jojoba, sweet almond, and grape seed oils, vitamin E, and flavor oil. It's carefully formulated to give you the perfect balance of protection and softness, so you won't end up feeling greasy or waxy. My mom says, "Ooo, creeamy" every time she uses hers, if that's any indication. She has a little flair for the dramatic.
It comes in an oval plastic twist-up tube, which holds .15oz/4g and is individually shrink wrapped.
2. Think Geek. Here's their description for Star Wars Force FX Lightsabers:
From the first time you saw the flash of light and that hum, way back in 1977, in Obi-Wan Kenobi's bungalow, you knew you wanted one. At first, you weren't quite sure what they were, but they were powerful and wonderful. And even now, after over 30 years, you still want one. The time has come, friends, to join the ranks of the Jedi (or Sith). Time to arm yourself with one of the most beloved weapons of all time: the Star Wars Force FX Lightsaber!
The "Force FX" part means these sabers are packed with bajillions of technologies from a galaxy far, far away - giving them movie accurate lights and sounds. The blades light from the bottom up (with sound, of course) and fade from the top down (again, with sound). And as you wait to strike, you hear that hum you've come to know and love. Each wave will trigger its own sound effect and each crash of saber on saber (or any other object) will also deliver an explosion of sound.
These Star Wars Force FX Lightsabers are truly weapons from a more civilized time.
3. Amazon. Here's their description for Tumbling Tower Stacking Game:
- Product dimensions: Tower - 3.1 x 3.1 x 10.8 inches, single piece: 2.95 x 0.59 x 0.98 inches
- Package Includes: 48 colorful building blocks with a dice! Comes packaged in a box for easy storage and transportation
- Perfect Family Game! Adults and children both will enjoy playing this game together. Suitable for 2 or more players
- Players will take turns rolling the dice, then carefully removing one block of that color and re-positioning it on the top of the tower. The blocks have a smooth surface making it easy to remove. The player who knocks down the tower is the loser
- Approved ASTM and CE test.Great size, perfect for a young child's hands! Will help to learn color recognition, and recommended for ages 3 years old and up!
Even though it's usually the last thing you'd think would make a difference for your shop - a solid product description is actually quite important. Put in time and thought behind your product descriptions and watch your conversions bolster.
Include your own brand tone (is your brand funny and casual? Maybe serious and professional?) for an instant long-lasting impression on your buyers and you got yourself a winner.